Inaugurated on 19th January 2009, under the Irish Constitution, the Lodge takes its name from Belfast, the capital city of Northern Ireland, and the Belfast Masonic Lodge No 257, when it merged with Finaghy Masonic Lodge No 651.
Click Here for History of the original Belfast Lodge No. 257 1885 – 2008
History of Finaghy Masonic Lodge No 651 from 1935 – 2008
Finaghy Masonic Lodge No. 651 held its first meeting in January, 1935, when W.Bro. A. M. Wedderburn was installed as Worshipful Master. Some of the founding brethren were also members of Lowe Memorial Presbyterian Church, at Finaghy, and their Christian principles brought in a ban on the intake of alcohol, which lasted until the mid ’90s.
The first meeting took place in rooms over Hatch’s Hardware Shop at Finaghy Cross Roads. After a few years however, they moved two doors down to above the local newsagents.
These premises were leased out at a peppercorn rent. A properly laid-out lodge room, a dining room and a kitchen were installed, making the Lodge self-sufficient. Over the years three lodges joined 651 at Finaghy, they were Stewartstown No.783, Strathearn No. 680 and Woodland No. 8-nought-3, as well as a Chapter and a Lodge of Instruction.
During its lifetime the Lodge had a few prominent members:
Tommy Priestly who was Master in 1952, but before the war played football for Linfield, Chelsea and Ireland (as it was then).
Sam Cree (1975) was a well-known popular playwright with such titles as “Cupid Wore Skirts” and “Don’t Tell the Wife” to his credit; he also wrote scripts for the some of the “Carry On” films.
The most notable Brother, however, was Right Worshipful Brother George Power. George and John Hood took a great interest in the Masonic Boys’ and Girls’ Schools and raising funds and awareness.
George Power wrote many books on freemasonry ‘A Masonic Miscellany’ being one of the more recent.
George’s degree work was unique; there was not a degree he could not deliver accurately, and with a relaxed style which was quite refreshing to the recipient as well as the brethren.
However, all good things come to an end and in 1985 when the lease on the Masonic hall ended, the Lodge moved from Finaghy to Freemasons’ Hall, Arthur Square, Belfast, where it enjoyed a strong period with a goodly flow of new members.
In 2006 disaster struck; over a three-month summer period five members died. With fewer new members coming through a decision had to be taken about the future of the Lodge.
On 21st November 2008, the longest attending Past Master W. Bro J D Pollock closed the last meeting of Finaghy Masonic Lodge No. 651.
At 6.51pm on Monday 19th January 2009, the Lodge reopened as:
The Belfast Masonic Lodge No. 651
Past Masters of Finaghy Masonic Lodge No. 651
|1935 A M Wedderburn||1936 S G Duckworth||1937 J K Carlisle|
|1938 H Page||1939 R Dixon||1940 J Barnes|
|1941 C H Robinson||1942 J A Shaw||1943 M A Gillespie|
|1944 J Caldwell||1945 J H Smith
||1946 S T Fleming|
|1947 T Magowan||1948 R Mulholland
||1949 S J Marks|
|1950 H Hearnden||1951 G Milliken||1952 T J Priestley|
|1953 S Sharp||1954 J A Spence||1955 D White|
|1956 C R J Anderson||1957 T Curry||1958 R E C Reavy|
|1959 J E McMillan||1960 G Power||1961 P J F McBride|
|1962 A Shaw||1963 S D Shaw
||1964 W J Hood|
|1965 D J Williamson||1966 F Uprichard||1967 D G Lynn|
|1968 J B White||1969 C Lynn||1970 J Hewitt|
|1971 J Armour
||1972 J R Taggart||1973 H Snoddy|
|1974 J E Cathcart||1975 J D Pollock||1976 J Johnston|
|1977 J Johnston||1978 J J Robertson||1979 K Crawford|
|1980 R D T Gibson||1981 W E Anderson||1982 P Wright|
|1983 T G Murtagh||1984 W Lennon||1985 J J Scarlett|
|1986 J H Frazer||1987 J H Frazer||1988 C Maguire|
|1989 I Cathcart||1990 W McGrath||1991 R W Wilson|
|1992 L R McGrath||1993 J D Mezza
||1994 J D Mezza|
|1995 R P Brotherton||1996 H G McGrath||1997 T W Quaite|
|1998 M T Bowman||1999 D S Fletcher||2000 D Lennon|
|2001 A K Reid||2002 A K Reid||2003 S A Strange|
|2004 R D Hughes||2005 R McKibben||2006 R E L Reavy|
|2007 G Sleith||2008 A W Macpherson|